Sunday, May 4, 2014

Copenhagen part 1



Because we are adventurous (and cheap), we decided to take the metro and then a train to the airport.  This is Ethan being thrilled at this idea.

This picture made me crack up.  I actually made Dalton go stand by all these people who are wearing coats and scarves while he is wearing shorts and a jacket.  "Crazy Americans!"

The beginning of our adventure!


Russian airport

Customs.  Don't tell anyone I took this picture.  It is probably illegal.



We made it!

I don't know what this says but it was the first thing we saw after we went through customs.  I'd like to think he is welcoming us to Denmark.  I think perhaps "logistikvirksomhed" is their version of "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".  That is one of the longest words I have ever seen!



Ride from the airport to the train station.


Train station.  We were told to go to platform 9 or 10.  How about 9 3/4??

 

Bicycles galore!  Everyone rode them!  It was super cool!  







You can even take your bike on the train and they have spots for you to put them and sit next to them.  Super cool!  





Of course we had to try it too.  We got the double seater one so that the next day, we could could get our luggage to the train without having to walk it.  






They have stop lights and sections of road designated for the bikes.

It may look like Seth is the person of interest here but he is actually photo bombing Ethan's pose.  
Church of Christ our Lady
On the inside on this church, both walls are lined with the original 12 apostles.  


Here is Peter.  Can you see what he is holding in his hand?



This is the original Christus.  There is a replica on display at Temple Square in Salt Lake City.  




LDS Temple
Chris and the two older boys went to the temple and did baptisms.  Come August, Seth will finally be able to join them!  









Rosenborg Castle
The castle was inhabited by the royal family until 1720.  Now, I'm not sure what they use it for other than for people to come and look at it.  They grounds are beautiful.





I had to climb down a marshy scary hill thing to get this picture.  I would never be able to be a photographer for National Geographic because I felt pretty heroic taking this one and I didn't even get dirty doing it.


I mentioned to Chris that I would like one of these.  I think it would help me feel better about cleaning up around here.  The crazy thing is, this is the King's crown, not the Queen's.

Also the King's and the Prince's crowns.


Indoor plumbing.

Chris could not wrap his head around all of the amazing furniture here.  I picked the one that I thought looked cute.  I'm sure it is not the one he thinks was coolest...


These are tapestries on the walls and on the floor behind the boys.  A-mazing.

Scary staircase

A rare moment of kindness between these two!

This is made of ivory. 
 Clocks/ jewelry boxes

These little statues are ivory.  So much detail!


Portraits at the castle
Most unfortunate...  I think he should get his money back.

I could not stop laughing at these pictures of these guys on their horses!  I guess realism was not such a big thing back then.





2 comments:

  1. I read this when you first put up the pics of Copenhagen, but didn't have a chance to look up the billboard translation, I knew Norden was Nordic..but beyond that was only guessing. I'm a freak, I have to know these things. :D

    Postnord is a logistics company (logistikvirksomhed is logistics company), the whole billboard says: News. A logistics company specializing in the Nordic countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, roughly translated. Someone who speaks Danish could smooth it out a bit more. :)

      Delete