Friday, February 7, 2014

Our first week




First view of Red Square.  -24 F, welcome to Russia! 




This cracked me up.  Dalton and Ethan didn't think it was
nearly as funny as Seth and I did.  Who names a kids toy
company Bullyland?  Hahahahahahah!





Our fabulous friends the Marchenkos!  Liza is just as cute as she was 5 years ago!  They are playing Mindcraft.  Dalton and Seth could not stop talking about how cool Liza's Mindcraft world was!  

























                   BEST! FOOD!  EVER!
                                               Second ONLY to Vahe Babayan!







Metro ride home after a long freezing day out in the city.  Pretty rocking shopka he chose huh?!










































We went to a museum about the war of 1812.  When Russia stopped Napoleon from taking over, or something like that.  I love that there are people all over the world who are fiercely patriotic and are willing to fight for the right.  I mostly just looked at stuff, I loved the helmets!  I wondered how they kept from breaking off their red fluffy things.

On a side note, when you go to a museum, or anywhere really, they make you take off your coat and check them.  Chris wanted to leave his on cause he was super cold.  They lady told him he couldn't, he had to take it off.  He told her he was very cold and wanted to leave it on.  She fake spat and then said, "And you call yourself a man!"  Hahahahahaha.  SO funny!  Nearly a week later and we are still laughing about that.


Additional pictures from the boy's cameras

They are serious about their cheese!

Must be Mr. Clean's identical twin brother...

St. Basil's.  It never stops looking beautiful.  No matter how many times you see it.


Chris is trying a new hair-do.  What do you think?

This is our church building.  I don't know what it use to be but, the church leases it and they have done some extensive remodeling to it.  It even has a baptismal font.

This is one of the entrances to Red Square.

Cool looking street.  We are at Red Square, the GUM mall is to our left and the Moscow River is to our right.

The boys and I saw this sign in the metro.  I'm not really sure what the sign said but, we are certainly not going to feed a lion our ice cream if we see one.

This is behind our housing community.  It is the Moscow River.  There are a number of locks and the river has frozen so that people go out there and fish and play on the ice.

3 comments:

  1. That is a funny story!! This whole post makes me so happy. I have to admit that I didn't realize how much I was imagining some stereotyped image of Russia and you trying to live there. My first clue was when your boys posted pictures of your house and I was shocked that it looked like a really nice place to live. And the sky was blue and the building wasn't communist gray! And now to see these pictures and feel so happy for all of the fun things that you're doing together as a family just makes me happy! Keep posting! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sky is not usually blue. When it is freezing cold, it is blue. Otherwise it is white/grey. (See last picture with Chris on the river.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! The coat story made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete